Monday 4 March 2019

Ted Baker chief exec departure and workers on boards

I'm still tracking company announcements on if/how they are complying with the UK Corp Gov Code in respect of employee voice.

I've found two more choosing to designate an existing NED as employee representative. The first is the recruiter Hays, announcement here.

The second is more interesting - Ted Baker. The news that it has designated a NED to engage with the workforce is actually buried in the announcement that chief exec Ray Kelvin has resigned (having previously been on leave of absence). This follows allegations of inappropriate behaviour stretching back years.

I find this one very interesting as it strikes me that this shows exactly why employees on boards are a good idea. I have no doubt that if there were a couple on the board of Ted Baker then these allegations would have been properly discussed at board level a lot earlier than they eventually were.

No comments: