Monday 7 January 2008

Fidelity is also employing a Tory MP as a consultant

Well it pays to do a bit of digging. I have now discovered that the Fidelity-Tory relationship actually goes deeper than I had realised. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but I had a quick look on TheyWorkForYou.com and it turns out that in addition to being a major corporate donor to the Tories, Fidelity is also employing Tory MP John Stanley as a consultant on financial services. Check it out here. It's a bit odd as his biog doesn't mention anything about financial services and here's what They Work For You says about his apparent interests -

Asks most questions about

Departments: Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Health, Home Department, Transport, Defence

Subjects (based on headings added by Hansard): Iraq, Correspondence, Pandemic Influenza, Gibraltar, Community Hospitals

The website also indicates that Fidelity have also employed him in the past as a director on one of their investment trusts, see the entry under November 2005 here. And there's another obvious link here by the way, John Stanley is MP for Tonbridge and Malling, Fidelity Investments has its UK HQ in Tonbridge.

I need to talk this over with my other half, but I can't really see how we can stay with a fund manager that is so blatantly pro-Tory. I'll keep digging and update shortly.

1 comment:

Tom said...

This is unfortunate. If you do go, make sure you tell them the reason! I salute your integrity in that you're even thinking about it.