Thursday 7 January 2010

Person on the internetz is WRONG

Both ConservativeHome and Iain Dale had an emotional spasm at the end of December because of a Tweet by Sunny Hundal celebrating Rush Limbaugh's hospitalisation. Iain said:
I think this demonstrates a key difference between elements of the left and the rest of us. I can think of no left wing hate figure whose hospitalisation or death I would celebrate, either openly or secretly.
The funny thing is, I seemed to remember Iain Dale Twittering a comment from his partner about how the demonstrators at a G20 demo should be shot. He denied this, but look what I found in his Twitter archive today:
Just give the Police guns, and shoot the lot of them. That was my partners reaction to the riots in the City. Quite liberal of him really...
1:12 PM Apr 1st, 2009 from Twadget
And this was at the demo where Ian Tomlinson died unfortunately. Obviously it's a jokey comment, and it's not aimed at a specific lefty, but isn't the sentiment openly seeking the hospitlisation or death of people whose politics you don't like? Does it become OK if it is jokey? Or not about a specific person? If so why so?

Now personally I think we are all old enough to deal with offensive blogs, Tweets etc, and especially those who link to Guido shurely? But what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Bit hypocritical innit?

No comments: