Monday 16 February 2009

2 Up

I just realised that this blog is now two years old. I just had a quick look back over the labels on my posts and the 10 most popular (in descending order) are -

Private equity
Capital markets
Pensions reform
Tories (oh dear)
Workers capital
Shareholder voting
Behavioural economics
Blogging
TUC
SRI

Obviously I was blogging a LOT about private equity during 2007, but it went much more quiet in 2008. Can't believe I blogged so much about the Tories, though this is probably boosted by my focus on Fidelity. I also really ought to include an 'ownership' label, given that it's such a regular topic.

By the way, it looks like Going Private is finishing in its current form. It's a shame as it's a well-written and interesting finance blog. I like it a lot, even though I'm not on the same page politically. She has promised a new project with a different slant, so will be interesting to see which direction this goes in.

PS. does anyone know how to fix the volume control on a baby? Ours seems to be stuck on the maximum setting.

4 comments:

CharlieMcMenamin said...

Ah. Colic.I remember that.

I know it sounds strange, but have you tried running a vacuum cleaner? It quieten our boy, for a while, sometimes.

Otherwise strap the kid into a babyseat and drive. Just drive - especially over cobblestones or sleeping policemen.

Charlie Marks said...

Is there a reset button which will return the child to its default settings?

No? Oh, well I'm sure that a new model will appear in the shops at some point in the future, at which point you can trade your old model in for one with volume control.

Tom Powdrill said...

Funnily enough a bloke at the gym I go to suggested the vacuum cleaner thing. Luckily he seems (tempting fate here) to have got over his prolonged screaming routine. If all else fails we'll try part exchange...

CharlieMcMenamin said...

If he's stopped routinely screaming so early, it's probably not colic. Not that that's necessarily going to be any comfort to you when he does go off on one again, which he most certainly will do at some point.

The 'drive in the middle of the night over sleeping policemen' routine almost always works in my experience. But a word of warning: I used to go out at 3 or 4 am and drive round Streatham,near where we then lived, where most of the side roads seemed to have humps. It took me a few weeks to understand why. I finally noticed all these scantily clad women on the street in the middle of the night in mid winter and the penny dropped:the road humps has been put in to discourage curb crawlers. The idea of getting stopped and accused of such an activity with a 6 week old baby in the car made me hightail it off to some where else very quickly once I'd realised the situation....